Friday, June 25, 2010

Round of 16ing it

Now thats more like it! After a slow start to the tournament, things have really turned around over the last couple of rounds of games. Positive football finally won out in the end, beating around Mourinho-ball like the terrible brand of football that it is. It was amazing to see Italy, the inventor and biggest perpetrator of ugly soccer, get their asses handed to them by all three teams in the group, falling to an immensely satisfying last place finish. I apologize for the lack of more analysis about the group stage, but I have a blinding headache and really want to get this Round of 16 preview in before its too late.

Uruguay vs. South Korea

This is an intriguing match that pits two teams that I personally didn't expect to make the second round against each other. Well here they are, and one of them will be in the quarterfinals this time tomorrow. They have both actually been playing great football, albeit in different styles. Uruguay have been exactly what I expected them to be, a solid defensive team that runs its entire offense through one player, Diego Forlan. Its hilarious seeing him take the free kicks, because I half expect him to run into the box and try to get on the end of them as well. Luckily, he has been phenomenal, which makes Uruguay quite effective. They will be very hard to break down, and will count on Forlan to make the magic happen. South Korea has been playing very efficient, positive football, and have been more solid defensively than I expected they would be. However, I think that Uruguay is a tougher team with the better player. South Korea just doesnt match up very well against Uruguay, and the South American teams have been on fire.

Prediction:

Uruguay 2-1


United States vs. Ghana

At first glance, it looks like the US lucked out immensely in its draw, and in a certain way that is true, but Ghana is a extremely athletic physical team that is actually similar to the US in a lot of ways. They both excel when they are bringing the game right to the opposition. I think that the US has to play in the all out, go-for-broke style that they played in the Algeria match, because although it makes them vulnerable on the break, its what makes them successful as a team. This team doesnt know how to play if it doesn't have its foot on the accelerator, so they shouldnt change now. They are also the fittest team in the tournament, which is what enables them to come up with magic at the end of games. They should use that to their advantage, and run teams into the ground. This game has potential to be great, if both teams choose to go after it.

Prediction:

US 3-2


Netherlands vs. Slovakia

The Netherlands finally started to turn it on in their third game, and I think that if Robben is fit, they will be a tough team to contend with moving forward. He is exactly what they had been missing in the first two matches of the tournament. They had been passing well, but with both Kuyt and Van der Vaart on the wings they just didnt have the width and thrust necessary to break down the more defensive squads. Slovakia will be a tough nut to crack and have been surprisingly dangerous going forward, but they will be overmatched against a dangerous and rising Dutch squad.

Prediction:

Holland 3-1


Brazil vs. Chile

This is an interesting matchup because Chile will not be cowed by Brazil, having played them many times over the years in South American qualifying. They have been fun to watch, and will certainly bring the game to the Brazilians, but after seeing them struggle mightily against Spain, I think Brazil will be a bit too much for them as well. Brazil has been playing better and better, but seem vulnerable defensively. They could struggle if caught out early on the break against a solid and organized squad, but Chile is not that squad. Should be entertaining though.

Prediction:

Brazil 4-1


Germany vs. England

The classic rivalry renewed! This could be exactly what the English team needs to finally wake themselves up in this tournament. They have been a listless side so far, other than good old Stevie G., who has been phenomenal so far. They seem to be labouring under the extreme pressure that befits an England squad at the World Cup. When watching this team, the one thing that strikes me is how little fun they are having. A theory I have about sports is that more often than not, the team that looks they are having more fun is usually the one that wins. They are just looser and more relaxed. The young German team fits that bill. They are playing like the young team that they are, with a verve and joy that comes with having nothing to lose. Mezut Ozil in particular has been a revelation, such a fun player to watch. This is an incredibly tough game to predict, but in the end, I will begrudgingly go with old reliable, the Germans in a tight one (Sorry Stevie G.)

Prediction: Germany 2-1


Argentina- Mexico

Another game that pits two similar teams against each other. A team that is filled with a decent but sometimes lackluster defense, with a phenomenal holding midfielder as a captain, playing behind a couple of great flair players who are trying to feed an old fashioned number 9. However, while Mexico are a servicable young side, Giovanni Dos Santos is no Lionel Messi, and Guillermo Franco is no Gonzalo Higuain. Argentina are playing with a looseness that I havent seen from them in a few years, which I attribute to the masterful coaching job of Diego Maradona. In taking the spotlight onto himself, he has lifted it from the shoulders of his young team, especially Messi, who has been great despite not scoring. He'll get his though, and Argentina will march on.

Prediction:

Argentina 3-1


Paraguay vs. Japan

This is the worst game of the second round, with two decent but lackluster teams matching up against each other. Paraguay won an awful group, with the favourites Italy looking as old as they have been for the past 3 years. They are decent, but no world-winners. Japan has been a big surprise, attacking with great flair and effectiveness. They seem to have been the only team to figure out the Jabulani ball. I see a free kick ball pushing them into the quarters/

Prediction:

Japan 1-0


Spain Vs. Portugal

While La Furia Roja have not come even close to playing to their full potential, here they are in the second round, narrowly avoiding a cataclysmic match up with Brazil. Portugal aint no slouch either, but Spain matches up pretty well against them, especially if Ronaldo decides to be a one-man band again like he was against Brazil. The problem with Spain so far has been tactical in my opinion. They have only played three real out and out attacking players in all three games, with Xavi having to masquerade as one despite really being a fulcrum holding player, unique in his ability to play defensive midfielder by never losing the ball. In this formation, they have three players, Xavi, Busquets, and Xabi Alonso, who are playing essentially the same position. And since Villa has been their only attacking player to really impress so far, with Iniesta and Torres still struggling to return to form after injury, they have three passing players trying to pick out one guy up top. And while they are three of the best passing players in the world, there is no unpredictability to an attack built that way. They need to sacrifice one of these three players for more of an attacking force, which will enable them to overwhelm teams as they did in the past. I think a focused Spain will take care of an industrious but overrated Portugal squad that struggles to score despite the 7 they scored against North Korea.

Prediction:

Spain 2-0


On to the knockout stages! Let the real fun begin!! And for all those who are not fans of the soccer, now is as great a time as any to embrace the Beautiful game!

Keep it real.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!
    Your grudge against Italy has been satisfied -- although I've never thought they were as conservative as you have. A few of the younger players they left home have made things more exciting.
    Your Uruguay prediction was perfect, although Suarez has joined Forlan in attacking form. If he also becomes as good a partner as Forlan it will be crazy to watch. If the US goes through today to play them that would be a fantastic match-up.
    I'd like to think they will, but I'm not sure this Brazil team is going to score that many at this stage of the tournament, especially against a team as quick and "physical" (to be polite) as Chile.
    It would be nice to see the Dutch succeed with the style they invented and other teams are winning with -- happily for us.
    Oy VEY, England Germany...the perfect reason to learn almost any foreign language is to have the luxury of not reading the British football press. I certainly can't believe why anyone associated with English football still does. Except for Gerrard, Johnson, Cole (and an occasional flash from the rest) the whole team looks like deer caught in the headlights. The best argument for tossing out the whole squad and bringing in a bunch of kids is that they wouldn't have lived through two or three WC's of being England internationals and might not yet expect it to be a miserable experience. On the other hand, I'm still fond of these guys and hate to see them choke like this. Plus, I agree with Beckenbauer about their long seasons, even if I think he was playing mind-games with his comments.
    Cute Argentina Mexico twist, Nick! Mexico are playing with tremendous heart and great style, and Argentina have responded to the exact same -- or worse -- pressure from home as England see by just getting better and better instead of collapsing. Of course, I don't think their talent is matched, possibly even by Spain but certainly not in the England squad. Hmmm, maybe Maradona called up 118 players in the past year so that no one would know in advance that they were in the squad and get nervous (except Messi, who did and was). Anyway, I agree that he's taking the pressure off of team -- now, after putting it squarely on their shoulders when they were losing in the qualifiers. But, I have become a Coach-Maradona fan 1) because he kisses his players constantly -- and yes, I do choose to believe he's sincere 2) because the English press -- and announcers -- have been so disgustingly condescending toward him. I can't even go into how much I love seeing Messi-the-international all grown up and being a little Xavi in the middle of the Argentina command (as you know a compliment from me doesn't get better than that). He doesn't have to actually tap them in for us to see where they start, but I agree that he probably will. Can't WAIT!!!!!!
    I did not forget USA, a team that I have failed to acknowledge the existence of for so many years -- even though you and dad have reminded me that we have one. I wasn't being an Anglo-snob, US players weren't that easy to get to know on TV -- except Donovan who used to annoy me no end. Well, he doesn't anymore. And that preceded the WC. I thought his loan to Everton changed him as a player and somehow rid him of whatever inclination to whine remained after all that therapy. Now I love them all, these players with SO SO SO much heart. Can't wait for the game to start. I heard that its going to be on a big screen in Prospect Park, so I'm off to find it. Sarah is on her way home to watch with us. (I'm wearing red, white and blue, but only because I have a Liverpool shirt on ;-)!

    ReplyDelete